Support for Parents
Below are some links that you might find useful when you’re looking for support for your child with SEND. Whilst they have a lot of useful information, please remember that they link to external organisations and we cannot be responsible for their content.
Independent advice for Parents of children with SEND
- Government information about EHCPs
This page describes the statutory Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) process. For more information about how this works in Hertfordshire and in our school, please talk with the SENDCo.
- I-can: a Speech, Language and Communication Needs organisation
This site has a lot of information for Parents on supporting children’s language development. It will help you to know what is expected for your child’s age and what to do if you are concerned and want to help your child.
- Families in Focus
A local organisation supporting families of children with SEND, including a parent network
- ADD-VanceADD-Vance is a dedicated group of professionals, who also happen to be parents of children affected by ADHD and/or Autism. Their mission is to support the families of children affected by these conditions and the professionals involved in their care. They want to increase understanding, provide support and change perceptions of these complex neurological conditions, so as to improve the wellbeing and reduce the social isolation of young people and their families.
- The National Autistic Society
Use the ‘about autism’ tab to find out more about what Autism is and how to help your child. The homepage also has contact details and a helpline for parents.
Space is a Hertfordshire based charity supporting parent/carers of children and young people on the Autistic Spectrum, with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) or a related condition.
- Families First
Families First is the term used in Hertfordshire for services that work together to support families who need extra help. These are also known as early help services. https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/microsites/families-first/families-first.aspx
- Support for Autism and ADHD in Hertfordshire
The Autism and ADHD transformation programme, which includes Hertfordshire County Council, NHS trusts, HPCI and local voluntary organisations, has been working hard to improve services for families and young people. A key area of work has been ensuring you know where you can go to access support in your local area. This will hopefully help you get access to support as early as you can. To find out more about the support available please watch this 3-minute animation or visit the Herts Local Offer. www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/autismADHDsupporthertfordshire
- Young Minds
A charity helping children and young people to have good mental health. It offers information and advice on many aspects of social, emotional and mental wellbeing.