Public Health Advice to minimise coronavirus (COVID-19) risks
How contacts are reduced will depend on the school’s circumstances and will (as much as possible) include:
staff maintaining distance from pupils and other staff as much as possible
1) Minimise contact with individuals who are unwell by ensuring that those who have coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms, or who have someone in their household who does, do not attend school.
2) Where recommended, use of face coverings in schools.
3) Clean hands thoroughly more often than usual.
4) Ensure good respiratory hygiene by promoting the ‘catch it, bin it, kill it’ approach.
5) Introduce enhanced cleaning, including cleaning frequently touched surfaces often, using standard products such as detergents and bleach.
6) Minimise contact between individuals and maintain social distancing wherever possible.
7) Where necessary, wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
Numbers 1 to 5 must be in place in all schools, all the time.
Number 6 must be properly considered and schools must put in place measures that suit their particular circumstances.
Number 7 applies in specific circumstances.
Response to any infection:
8) Engage with the NHS Test and Trace process.
9) Manage confirmed cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) amongst the school community.
10) Contain any outbreak by following local health protection team advice.
Numbers 8 to 10 must be followed in every case where they are relevant.